Circumcision is the surgical removal of the foreskin, the tissue covering the head (glans) of the penis. It is an ancient practice that has its origin in religious rites. Today, many parents have their sons circumcised for religious or other reasons
THE AFCIC CIRCUMCISION RITE 2015
Five boys,David Chege,Michael Musyoka,Paul Ngugi Anthony wanyoike and Samuel Njuguna who are all over 15 years of age and from very destitute families have been very worried when it comes to the month of December as for two years now their playmates have been graduating from child hood to adult hood through the circumcision rite that costs approximately 10,000 including all the costs of medical surgery, medicine and the feeding which has not been affordable for these boys. This year AFCIC staff voluntarily contributed and the boys were happy to go through these rite of passage.
What are the benefits of circumcision?
There is some evidence that circumcision has health benefits, including:
• A decreased risk of urinary tract infections.
• A reduced risk of some sexually transmitted diseases in men.
• Protection against penile cancer and a reduced risk of cervical cancer in female sex partners.
• Prevention of balanoposthitis (inflammation of the glands and foreskin).
• Prevention of phimosis (the inability to retract the foreskin) and paraphimosis (the inability to return the foreskin to its original location).
• Circumcision also makes it easier to keep the end of the penis clean.